Thursday, May 12, 2016

DIY Granola

I have confession to make. I have a breakfast issue. This is not a recent development; I never really liked to eat breakfast before school. I think this bothered my mom quite a bit, which is probably why I remember consuming so much Instant Breakfast as a kid. I love to go out for breakfast, I love breakfast foods, I love cooking a big breakfast on a Sunday morning, but my weekday routine does not include a healthy or well-balanced breakfast.  I know, I know, it’s the most important meal of the day and helps jump start your metabolism, blah, blah, blah. When I do get a decent breakfast, I find I'm more productive in the morning and I don't overindulge at lunch. Typically, I eat a piece of toast in the car on the way to work, which is only slightly better than eating a fatty or calorie laden fast food breakfast sandwich. 

I have convinced myself that if I just found something I really love to eat in the morning that does not require me to cook or dirty a bunch of dishes, it might help change my habits. So when I tried adding some granola to a Fage 0% side-cup Greek yogurt, I knew I'd hit the jackpot. The problem is that most commercially made granola is heavily processed, loaded with sugar and expensive as hell.  When I priced the ingredients, I discovered that I could make my own granola for a fraction of the cost, which would also allow me to control the sugar and make it exactly the way I like it. Yes, there is sugar in granola. That's why it tastes good. But this recipe has a much smaller amount per serving than you'd find in store bought granola and you can easily use things like Agave nectar or sugar substitutes if you want. I found a recipe online and adjusted it according to my own taste.  The oats, sweetener and oil are the key ingredients; everything else is up to your personal taste. You can use any kind of nuts, any kind of spices and you can even add things like flax seed or wheat germ. This recipe makes a lot of granola, but it stores brilliantly and lasts a long time.

FRUIT AND NUT GRANOLA
7 cups of rolled oats - thick cut is best and I like Red Mill for this recipe
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup of honey, maple syrup or Agave nectar or a combination of any or all of them
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup of almonds (slivered, sliced or whole. I like mine whole) 
1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
1 tbsp of vanilla
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
The zest of one orange, grated (optional)
1 1/2 cups of raisins, dried cranberries or dried cherries, or a combination of any dried fruit you like

This recipe is so easy to make. First, pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees. Then cover two baking sheets with foil and spray them liberally with cooking spray. Dump the oats into a big bowl and pour the oil over them. Toss them just a bit to coat the oats in the oil. Then dump everything else except the dried fruit into the bowl and mix well. Divide the granola between the two baking sheets in even layers and place them in the oven. Your granola will take an hour and a half to toast properly, but you will need to stir it up every 15 minutes or so to make sure its cooking evenly. It might take less time depending on your oven, so keep an eye on it. The finished granola should be brown and crispy, but not burned or black. The nuts are the best indicator. If they look like they're getting too dark or taste burned or bitter, take the granola out and it will be done. While the granola is still warm, sprinkle the dried fruit over the top and gently toss it in. Let the granola cool completely before putting it in airtight containers for storage. It should last for a couple of months. 

You can put anything you like in this granola. You can add shredded coconut before you bake it for a nice toasted coconut flavor. You can add banana chips and dried pineapple in place of raisins for a tropical twist. You can even add a drop or two of almond extract for a nuttier flavor. I keep a container of granola on my desk for a healthy afternoon snack and sometimes I even sprinkle it on a bowl of vanilla ice cream. You can also put some in a decorative jar for a nice hostess or holiday gift. This granola is just a great thing to have around the house. Give it a try. 




No comments:

Post a Comment